View Single Post
Old 2008-03-04, 00:15   Link #43
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Also, I'm a fan of Clannad, but I personally have yet to learn why some characters have feelings for Tomoya. Fuko obviously doesn't, being the loli-moe-starfish character, Nagisa and Kotomi are easier to understand, but TsundereKyou and Tomoyo aren't.

The majority of anime categories are overexploited. I would say that almost every studio has had an attempt at slice-of-life/general comedy or drama/romance, and there really aren't as many mecha anime as you think there are (I personally know of maybe 30-40 mecha series that have any popularity at all), it's just that Sunrise really has nothing better to do than to keep releasing Gundam series.

Second, the appearance of any subgenre within a series will remove impact of many other subgenres within it. Take your example, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Almost pure drama and romance. There was even very, very little comedy included, mainly during its first two episodes.
Another example, Shakugan no Shana. I say it's a romance, some say it's an action, some say it's a slice-of-life, some say it's a drama. Obviously, mixing any genres will lessen the impact of any other genres within it.
Well Kyou likes Tomoya because she's known him as a friend for awhile, Tomoyo is the least explained, but it is quite apparent that she got attracted to his personality and demeanor.

Now to get back on topic..

I never said that other genres were not exploited, but I'm saying that the mecha anime category has been the worst one I've seen out there by far.

You're second point is what I was trying to say in the first place kind of... I think the theme/genre/subgenre or w/e of mecha lessens the impact of its said show because the main point of mech animes is usually the mecha so everything else is almost insignificant. YES there are exceptions, but 5-10% of exceptions won't make up for the other 90-95% out there in my eyes. It's kinda like when people make stereotypes about cultures. Of course not all people of that culture fit in the stereotype, but there are sure enough that do to make a stereotype idea spread throughout people's minds. Mecha is like dividing by zero, you'll aways get zero.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote