Thread: Ubuntu Laptop
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-05, 03:32   Link #9
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Thanks again for the responses.

@Ledgem
Yes, but I still don't like the general direction Mac is going in. I've also been let down by their reliability, which was supposed to be much better than what I've gotten. Also they're so damn expensive.

@Random
I read a lot of the reviews for the ThinkPads and I'm liking what I see so far. My only gripe is that their screens are considered bad. I couldn't find ThinkPads at the local store so I don't know how true their claims are.

Still, after getting your input and looking at the research, I am really liking the ThinkPads. Especially because of the ease of upgrading. I actually like the T430s, T530, and, just for fun, the yet-to-be-released X-1 Carbon. The W series looks too big and heavy.

@Karuma
I'll mostly use it for writing, general net use, and movies. I also do play games a bit, but I only really play Team Fortress these days, and I'm told the game will run fine on Intel graphics.

I have another question about graphics, actually. I heard from some people that the integrated Intel 4000 with an i7 processor and large RAM will be a better investment than the NVIDIA/ATI mobile graphic cards that are at 1024 mb VRAM. (Unless one is planning on running multiple monitors). Is this true?

Finally, are the mini-display ports and the thunderbolts better for hooking up to an HD TV (to watch movies)? Would I get a converter to HDMI from one of those ports?