Thread: Licensed The Sky Crawlers
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-01, 02:25   Link #56
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I would also advise caution to anyone who hasn't seen the movie to not to read the thread because the movie has one serious jolt that would ruin the enjoyment of the whole story if one comes to know it without watching it. Avoid spoilers at all cost until you've seen it. The entire story is a carefully laid set-up to lead to this tiny little fact. It was very sobering to watch it.
I wholeheartedly agree. The Sky Crawlers is Oshii's most accessible work to date (not counting Patlabor). You don't have to be highly perceptive to see how everything fits in the end, although a second viewing does help tremendously (because you'd know what to look out for).

In short, it's an extremely well-constructed whodunit with a huge twist at the end. Unfortunately, newbies unfamiliar with Oshii's oeuvre are likely to fall to sleep before they get to the punchline.

I can't wait for more people to see the movie. There's so much I'd like to discuss, but have been refraining from doing so because of the inadvertent spoilers I'd reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I haven't watched Sky Crawlers yet, but is it more of a fun show, or is it more of a philosophical show. The former would be awesome, but the latter tends to be dreadful (especially in the hands of Oshii). Inquiring minds must know!
Whatever philosophical message it contains is very tame in comparison to Ghost in the Shell. The guys at AnimeNewsNetwork did make some very good points, but I strongly recommend against reading it, because it contains major plot spoilers.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote