View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 19:30   Link #194
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
No I don't, Naruto's brain look for the worse in comparison to pretty much all the other characters of the show. So yeah I mocked Obito who seem to be brain-damaged to me but as I said Naruto manages to sound worse than a clinically delusional sociopath.
The only one among his generation I could see being dumber than Naruto is Kiba and that's from the way he's characterized, not actual instances of stupidity.
Naruto is dumb, the author goes out of his way to show that over and over again. Every character who addressed this subject (including Naruto himself) said as much. All his teachers were dumfounded by his sheer stupidity. Kakashi had a renewed respect for Jiraiya's teaching ability after 2 minutes trying to explain basic stuffs to Naruto and Fukasaku was just as bewildered.

Naruto is the kind of guy who catch things quick when he does them but try to explain anything to him, even the simplest of concept, and he's completely lost.
While i agree with 99% of what you say, i can't agree in the end because of that 1%. That 1% of the story which as i wrote makes it a huge contradiction. Some examples that come to my mind:
- steals the secret scroll of elite forbidden jutsu and learns the kage bunshin from a book in a few hours (not by practice but from a book)
- reads Jiraiya's book and gets the message
- outsmarts Kakuzu
- despite having only kage bunshin and rasengan he regularly finds new ways to use these and trick his enemies who have at least 10 times more jutsu to use
- finds out immediately that Sakura's confession is fake
- very smart people believe in him (Jiraiya, Minato, Shikamaru and his father, Kakashi, etc.)

In my opinion these 1% contradict the other 99% of events that you described, because as you explained in general he is so dumb that it's simply not believeable to me that he could come up with these things. But when we look it that way then we realize that most of the other characters also do dumb things on a regular basis. Just a few examples that come to my mind now: Jiraiya going to the akatsuki lair alone instead of organizing a squad of konoha or even from the 5 countries, keeping Naruto in Konoha so that the enemy who already almost destroyed the sand ninja village with a huge bomb when coming for Gaara would do the same with Konoha, etc.)

Last edited by Ero-Senn1n; 2013-01-13 at 19:41.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote