Thread: Licensed Makai Senki Disgaea
View Single Post
Old 2006-04-10, 21:09   Link #85
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Having watched all (to my knowledge anyway) of AnimeU's translated anime, I have grown to like it. At first, it's pretty jarring, since fansub watchers including myself are so used to literal translations. Later on one'll get used to it at least, just like one'll get to used to some groups not doing karaoke or others cutting out 'this program has been brought to you by' sequences. In this person's opinion, I think AnimeU's liberties with the translation is what makes AnimeU, well, AnimeU. Makes them stand out pretty well from the rest of the fansub scene. Some won't like it, but hey, no one's forcing them to watch AnimeU's translation, no? And considering, as of this writing, 2.2k peers are seeders alone for the disgaea episode, I think they're content, if not quite happy with AnimeU's subs.

Quote:
Fansubbers are supposed to translate the anime. Not localize it.
All due respect, but there isn't any rule that restricts fansubbers on how the want to translate their subs. If they want to incorporate some English slang into it, then that's their right. After all, they're doing this for free, and so what say do we have in how they do things?

As long as they carry the spirit of the original message, as long as the dialogue exchange makes sense, and as long as the grammar is understandable, this person has no problem with whatever they want to do with their translations.

BTW, 'flat as a board' and 'flat-chested' mean pretty much the same thing, no? XD