View Single Post
Old 2015-06-05, 00:35   Link #208
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
How extensive a summary are we talking about here? From the sound of it, you'd think wikipedia is completely illegal. A one/two pages summary is never going to be a substitute for a 200 pages novel. Not for anybody.
That's not the sort of summary we're talking about at all. Some people write summaries of individual chapters, or parts of chapters, that are basically full re-tellings and give you a full breakdown of everything that occurs. At that point, like I said, it's gone beyond being a summary and is just another form of translation, but not word for word. It'd basically be a way of dancing around the no translation rule by arguing that you're rewording it so therefore it's not a translation and therefore it's fine. That's the sort of long summary we're talking about, and the sort of semantic games we don't want to play with people.

The sort of summary you'd see on Wikipedia, or any short synopsis of a large block of content, is totally fine. This sort of thing is covered under Fair Use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And just to be clear, this doesn't apply to manga and anime, does it? Reading a summary, no matter how detailed it is, is never going to replace looking at the actual drawings or animation. I think it's already far-fetched enough you're applying that rule to novels, applying it to visual mediums would be plain retarded. Reading summaries for these types of release in fact increase the anticipation for the real thing.
If you posted a 200-image slideshow of an anime episode that had multiple images of every minute and every scene... then I'd say it's too much. (And yes, someone did do that before...) But I've never seen a text summary that comes to that level of detail at all, or that I could call a "substitute" in any way.

Same with manga. If you need to post an image of one page or frame because it's essential to have a conversation about that very thing, that may be fine (so long as it doesn't advertise an illegal site). But if you're posting an image of almost every single frame or scene and summarizing everything shown in a chapter... you might as well have just posted the actual manga at that rate. (And by the way, this sort of thing has happened before too.)

More or less the focus should be on talking about the thing, not reposting it or translations of it here. For unlicensed works, the translations (and these sorts of detailed summaries/retellings) could be linked in the opening post.