View Single Post
Old 2008-01-19, 00:32   Link #95
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix View Post
Yes they do.
Care to list the games? Because I own only about 20 PSP games and only a small amount of these have actually caught my eye utilizing what the PSP has to offer.

Quote:
Erm, care to repeat what you just said? So PSP uses 2D a lot? Wow thats NEWS FLASH. I've never said DS has better 3D capabilities, just read again dude, PSP beats DS hands down in 3D rendering.
And you READ AGAIN, dude. This was my point...

"The thing is, the PSP isn't focused on 3D graphics. The developers make use of the clean looking 3D capabilities, or at least alot cleaner than the DS."

The part about it being cleaner than the DS, is to point out that SINCE it was 3D capabilities that are better than the DS, then it's most obvious that they're going to take advantage of it. IF the DS had a stronger polygon output and higher quality textures, you could bet your life that alot more 3D games would come out for it.

Quote:
Perhaps, developers fault, but this just attributes to weakness in their game library doesn't it? Then again, DS has this problem too. And I've never once said PSP is only limited to 3D.
I never stated that you said that. I was only pointing out that the PSP has great 2D games as well.

Quote:
Maybe, but its not out yet. So I wouldn't know about it since I've not played it, but from my general experience with the other games I've played(A lot). Well, it could be the reason for me to get a PSP, but I wouldn't want to be excited too early. Are there any more great RPGs for PSP? I wouldn't mind trying them out. Tried a couple, was pretty disappointed.
Alot of RPGs are ones I'm waiting for. And some games I'll get tired of waiting and just import. And since you seem to not want to play remade games, I won't suggest any.

Quote:
Yes, Star Ocean is something im looking out for in the PSP... Though it has SO2 fighting engine(Well not necessary bad but I like the flat 2D SO battle engine in SNES haha), its still a remake/port nevertheless... Sure there are extras, but all in all, Im paying for those minor extras which I may not even enjoy? Hmm.
Considering FMV, new graphics, characters, and etc "minor" is all opinion. You're paying for the same gaming experience from back in the day with enhanced features of more recent gaming. And I don't know about you, but I enjoyed Star Ocean The Second Story's battle system thoroughly. I'd love to play Star OCean with that battle system.

Quote:
I do not get you. PSP has their own library, their PS2 and PSX games, as with Nintendo having GB, GBC and GBA to back their DS. As mentioned earlier in this thread, PSP is made with the ability to easily port PS2 and emulate PSX games in mind. So I really do not understand what you mean by that.
No. The handheld market isn't fused with the console market. Yes, it can help the backing a bit since they have ties with people already creating games for their system, but it's no guarantee. They have to build their reputation with the devs in order to gain trust that their system will make them money. After they've gained their trust willt he good games start rolling. ALL devs for the PS2 and PSone aren't going to line up and want to create games for this handheld. Likewise, they have to gain trust with the consumer that this product is a good product and is worth the money they're paying. And this is hard to do as well since this is the first handheld Sony has made. There are obvious differences with the PSP and the DS that can't be overlooked. The screen on the PSP is shiny and glaring against sunlight, whereas the DS has long fixed this problem after the original Gameboy advanced by adding a backlight and altering the screen to not glare.

But Nintendo is a different story. They've had devs backing them since generations ago. And the consumer already trusts Nintendo. Their experience in the handheld market far surpasses Sony and that's why I compare the PSP vs DS to David and Goliath.

Quote:
True. But Im sure Im not the only one, I have a lot of friends owning a DS, as well as a tonne load more owning a PSP. Having chat with them, most of the DS owners only get sick of the DS after many many months of playing, whereas many PSP owners tells me they got bored of their PSP games rather quickly and used it for Movie/MP3 in the end. Or perhaps I just have a weird community around me in that case.
Yes, I don't think that really counts. I actually got bored with my PSP as well until I got games like Initial D to hold me off a while, then the RPG ports. The DS only held my attention with Castlevania and FFIII. But now that I've been reading up on upcoming RPGs, my hopes are high again since I can play SO2 again with voice acting, movies, and new characters. Oh, and other games like God of War and such.

Quote:
Its a good idea, not exactly the best idea, but its a great idea for a hand held. Because simply, the touchscreen doesn't just acts like a gimmick, it has its uses, for example, providing the extra buttons for games which _may_ require more buttons. And as for Metroid, its a mixed feeling. I don't really enjoy it much either due to the awkward controls. And it also creates more gameplay and simulations not possible without it. Trauma center is one, which is a surgury sim(Not really a sim since its in a very fictional setting), Subarashiki Kono Sekai is another, providing interesting RPG Battle experience(With tonnes of moves and variations depending on how you'd play it) which is not really possible for one without the touch screen unless you're interested to be inputting QCF motions in your RPG. All in all, the touch screen is a very good addition because it various functions, not just add to gameplay experience or extra gimmick. Though some game doesn't really have a use for it at all.
My thinking it's a gimmick is as opinion. I merely think this because of alot of games that incorporate this feature. It's said to be a really good idea by alot of people and when I compare that opinion to how some games use the feature, it's completely idiotic. Using it to chat and write is a good idea. Simple things like the brain games. But to replay Resident Evil and use the stylus to slash a zombie with a dagger gives off the "cheap gimmick" stench from a mile away, along with countless other games that use that poorly use that feature as well. And the hype over it doesn't help my opinion much either.

Quote:
Also, I personally do not understand how people can play FPS with analog sticks/direction pads in consoles... Though I do not really enjoy metroid's FPS controls, I certainly do find it better than analog sticks and Dpads. Well, afterall, Keyboard and Mouse is the way to go, and I hardly, play FPS off my computer... The only one I've tried was FFVII Dirge of Cerberus, which left me going (-_-) retarded controls after playing for 10 hours or so.
I actually like DoC. Okay not the controls but I didn't think it was too bad considering this was a shooter made by a Japanese guy. And keyboard/mouse is always going to be a favorite over controller when it comes to FPS, but I for one don't have a problem using a controller.

Quote:
You misunderstand me. Is it worth playing a game which you already played at home, on the road? Or is it more worth to play a original game on the road which you do not have at home? Perhaps, new titles for the PSP, I would love to try some of those RPGs. But right now, I haven't really been impressed by PSP. Unless you can recommend me some PSP games(Not in PS2 ports since I already own a large bulk of PS2 games, so yeah) that can keep me addicted to it, I really can't find anything thats worth playing on the PSP at the current moment.
No, I didn't misunderstand you. I asked you a question by altering your previous question and simultaneously answered that question at the same time. I guess I should just be more straightforward with you; I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Quote:
Again, you're missing my point. It is a gaming device combined with media capabilities, but Im talking about their gaming capabilities, and in my humble opinion, I feel that DS games are more fun than PSP. And yes, its an opinion. Yours could be different.
Yes, I know. This is what everyone seems to point out with the PSP. BECAUSE it can play mp3 and video it isn't a gaming device, or at least not a gaming device that was meant for gaming. Everyone says this over and over. The thing is... The PSone had audio CD capabilities, and the PS2 had DVD and CD capabilities, and the PS3 has Bluray, DVD, CD, MP3, blah blah blah all these capabilities. And now the same goes for the Wii and 360. All of these gaming systems have multiple other capabilities. Does this detract from the gaming? In some cases, maybe, but for the most part, no. And then how are are people(I'm not talking about you per se) going to turn around and say that the PSP isn't focused on gaming because it has these extras, when the next gen consoles have these features and more? It's completely idiotic, imo. And then, it's even more idiotic when the same people that were bashing the PSP's extra capabilities come out and brag about the DS' ability to play MP3 and video as well when not too long ago they were bashing those same capabilities.

Yes, I've been in "PSP vs DS" debates since the very beginning. At first on the DS' side and slowly moving towards the PSP side.

Quote:
Oh don't worry, you're not the one who keeps on stating those. Its someone else on this thread, and its an annoying kid. True, DS is targeted more for all ages and numerous interest groups, with games for younger players to games for teens, to adults, to anime and manga lovers, japanophiles, brain enhancing games(Which usually bores me out after playing it for a while due to how easy they are). PSP games however, for me, I feel that they are targetting the teen segment, yes, but because of that, their games feel very repeatitive because they just repeat the same things over and over.
Huh? How do the PSP games feel repetitive? I actually haven't gotten that feeling unless it was a port. >_>

Again, mistakes on my post may be plainly clear since I have no time to recheck my post.