View Single Post
Old 2012-02-28, 05:37   Link #27946
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post
I personally believe that Yasu did kill everyone on the island, and committed suicide while with Battler inside the boat, and this is the sad Truth that Battler spent all of episode 8 trying to lock away. I haven't played the games as many times as what most of you may have, nor read it and analyzed it carefully, so again, I'd love to hear your takes on "the truth".
I would be hesitant to equate Beatrice jumping from a boat and drowning to Yasu jumping from a boat and drowning.

I don't think Yasu did it. Yasu just doesn't seem so heartless, for one. Another is the story she crafted; why kill everyone and send out multiple message bottles telling different stories as to how they died? The message bottles aren't really confessions of murder.

Anyway, my favorite idea is that the explosion was the end result of a "murder mystery game" gone wrong.

The idea of a fake murder game can be taken from various episodes. Episodes 5 and 6 are the most obvious, but even episodes 1, 2, and 4 make more sense if you see a fake murder game orchestrated by Yasu as the motivation for so many characters to lie. For example, in episode 1 Maria comes off as someone who is insane enough to believe the epitaph so literally that she's completely unconcerned with anyone's death, including her own mother's. But what if Maria isn't insane? What if she actually knows the difference between the real world and make believe and is just acting? Rosa's fine and Maria knows it; it's all pretend. And it's really fun for Maria! She's just loving all the attention she's getting playing a central role in the game and tricking all those people who would normally just make fun of her when she talks about magic.

There are numerous variations of the murder game theory. Many have speculated that there was a fake murder game orchestrated by Yasu, but hijacked by someone else in order to commit real murders. There is also the idea that the fake murder game was just Yasu's ruse to trick people into being accomplices for what would ultimately be real murders. But my personal favorite is that Yasu was running an innocent fake murder game that was too realistic for its own good; the unfortunate result being that someone who wasn't in on the game snapped from paranoia and, in mistaken self-defense, killed someone else for real, which snowballed into more people killing each other and ultimately the clock switch being flipped for some reason. In particular I love the idea that it was Battler who snapped, because then all the stuff in episodes 1 and 2 about how "he should just accept the witch" and "he shouldn't suspect any of the 18" carries very interesting moral weight.

Yasu's fake murder game being the cause of everyone's deaths would also explain Yasu's sense of guilt over the incident, and her desire to take responsibility for the "murders".

Also, how a murder game fits with the epitaph and another reason I don't think Yasu did it:
  • The epitaph is a magical ritual to "resurrect" Beatrice.
  • "Magic" is about illusion; it's about making the impossible seem actual.
  • Therefore, actual murders are not necessary to fulfill the epitaph; only the appearance of murders are necessary.
  • In fact, actual murders would make fulfilling the epitaph more difficult if Yasu intended to actuate the part of the epitaph near the end about "the resurrection of the souls of all the dead"; fake murders would be the best way to perform this kind of "magic".
  • Therefore, Yasu not only doesn't have a good real life motive for murder as a human, she doesn't even have a good motive for murder as a witch in need of sacrifices to cast a spell.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote