View Single Post
Old 2008-10-13, 19:27   Link #20
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
Epyon9283: I'd say its ironic you didn't have it the other way around, i mean, an old ATI 9500 or older at work and a more recent nvidia card at home; you would have been surprised. The older ATI's can use the open source driver, and unlike its nv counterpart, it supports 3D. One reason MacOS X seems to always work without issues, is because Apple has a tight control on what hardware you can use. If i could force you somehow to only find good hardware, your linux experience would have been flawless as well.

Perhaps you could try Dell offerings to this respect.

As for your machine at work, at least in Ubuntu, the package nvidia-glx-legacy still exists and should work with your card.
I used to buy my hardware with Linux in mind. That's why everything works (for the most part) on my PC at home. At work I don't have that luxury with the desktops. The servers I purchase all support Linux quite nicely.

My machine at work is running Fedora 9. I've tried to standardize around Fedora and CentOS at work. The only boxes with Ubuntu on them aren't controlled by me.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote