View Single Post
Old 2008-11-22, 20:22   Link #587
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If being judged by your girlfriend isn't illegal, it ought to be.

And who is she to forgive him, really? Was she friends with the kids that got killed? And even if she was - let's say Al kills a family. Just for kicks. Let's say a survivor of that family forgives him. Does that make him less of a murderer?

I'm all for forgiveness. I'm even willing to grant that his upbringing made him crazy and therefore not wholly responsible. Let's even say, against all evidence (he's still fighting for the CBs. The guys who, instead of putting him in therapy, gave him a giant robot and told him "OK" when he announced he wanted to slaughter a few dozen kids.), let's say he won't do it again. If only because there aren't any super soldiers left to kill.

I'm still vastly uncomfortable with saying that what he did was nothing, or even comparable to firing at an armed enemy combatant.
No one said what he did was nothing. Even Al was uncomfortable with what he did, that's why he felt he had to tell Marie what he had done. He wanted her to know the whole truth about what kind of man he is, and would be fine if she was to reject him for it. Marie was the only person in the position to damn him or to forgive him, it was her choice to make.

If Al truly felt what he did was nothing major, he wouldn't have brought it up at all.