View Single Post
Old 2009-02-27, 05:37   Link #43
Matt122005

Um, lol, I'll try to answer what a light novel is. But first, let me respond to what Doraneko's explanation was.

Light Novels are not simply Light Novels because they are published under a LN label. Sure, a small number of light novels could fit into this idea, but for many, they are in fact LIGHT NOVELS at their core.

Of-course, that is the question isn't it? WHAT IS A LIGHT NOVEL?

It is a perplexing question, one so difficult, and yet very simple.

For one thing, let me respond to what was said a light novel WAS.

Quote:
similar to anime and manga and unlike your average teenage fantasies, (B) they have Japanese as their target audience. This is both an advantage and disadvantage in the Western market.
I know you must have wrote that without thinking or as a typo. Cause that makes absolutly no logical sense. haha

I mean, no duh a light novel has a target audience of a JAPANESE PERSON. Shall we forget that they are PUBLISHED and WRITTEN "WITHIN JAPAN". I mean, what, you think Japanese authors think about writing novels for Americans or Brittish when they realize they are going to be published in Japan?

And what in the world do you mean by "unlike your average teenage fantasies".

Sorry to break it to ya, lol, but Eragon was written for the WEST. Harry Potter was written for the WEST. These authors never had any idea that their books might become popular enough to get translated into Japanese. So every novel in america written within america or the WEST is going to have been written to target the audience of the country its being published in. This is just common sense.

However, from reading light novels, I can tell you, there aren't alot of INSIDE JOKES depending on the novels you read. I mean, some light novels like Full Metal Panic and GOSICK and Kino no Tabi and Ballad of a Shinigami are easy for a non-japanese understanding person to get into. Heck, GOSICK takes place in Europe, not Japan.

Quote:
More specifically (and with a growing number of exceptions), they have the following characteristics :

1. Extensive use of colloquial language
2. Plot and writing style influenced by anime/manga
3. Solely for entertainment
4. The writers are not exactly "telling" stories to the young readers, but sharing with them interesting stories written from the viewpoint of an average young reader.
5. "Media mix" - manga, anime and game adaptations/novelizations
(from wikipedia CH)
Um, extensive use of colloquial language? Um, I realize you read Kino no Tabi, which yes, does have that, but that's simply because Keiichi Sigsawa chose to. If you read other light novels they can have virtually nothing but very simple words. While others may choose more literary words. It's really up to the author. But it is NOT true to say that light novels as a characteristic use this sort of colloguial language, it is only something that comes about as a choice of the author writing the light novel.

Your second point should have been worded better. Just because light novels have anime illustrations does not mean that they are influenced by Anime/manga. In fact, as a friend of mine told me, Light Novels go back farther than anime/manga ever existed. The entire idea of short novels with illustrations was invented long ago in China (if I am remembering the country he told me correctly). So although Light Novels may have anime illustrations, it is a good thing to remember that Light Novels are being TURNED INTO Anime and Manga for the most part, not the other way around. In a sense, Light Novels are creating the new standards of anime storylines.

The third point of being soley for entertainment is completely eroneous. Sure, the majority are, but not all.

Kino no Tabi and Ballad of a Shinigami (each 12 books so far in series length) are just two to point out that are DEEP, THOUGHT-PROVOKING, and EMOTIONALY TOUCHING, even touching on Philosophy. These are not simply for ENTERTAINMENT, but actually go far deeper than that, adding a meaning to the writing and creating an impact that is long lasting.

But yes, for the majoirty of light novels, they are entertainment (just like the overwelming majority of american novels being published). But this is by no means to mean ALL Light Novels as a whole are this way.

Your 4th point is highly confusing. Are you regarding to "third person (POV)" writing and "first person (POV)" writing? If so, again, you are wrong. Many light novels are written in Third Person, and many light novels are written in First Person. It just depends on the author.

Your 5th point about media mix. Light Novels are for the most part, not adaptions of existing anime and manga, its rather the other way around.

Your recommendation of Kino no Tabi is backed by me as well. It is in my opinion one of the best, if not the best, light novel series released in the US.

Ok, so after correcting whats been said.

What IS a light novel?

Well, its....whatever the author wants it to be. lol

Well, to be exact, here are some basics.

1. It has anime illustrations, even if just one.
2. They are typically between 40-50,000 words (and I don't want anyone saying that this is a novella, cause it isnt, 50,000 words is a typical minimum of a normal length american novel). However, some Light Novels do go beyond 50,000 words. And some can be incredibly thick. So, point being is, Light Novels can at times during a series NOT be LIGHT. lol
3. The writing styles have differences from normal novels you're used to reading. Instead of long paragraphs after another, you can have paragraphs that are maybe only one sentence or two or three. And some times you can have a sound effect like "WHAM" have an entire line all by itself, if you wish to emphasize the effect of the word in the story. Not only that, but the idea of a light novel is to simply say what needs to be said and say no more. The idea is to not be wordy, and have sentences that drag on. You as an author want the light novel to continually move the story forward with every sentence, only enveloping the reader deeper into the story.
4. The planning of a light novel series is very different. One person above stated that it was like taking parts of harry potter and chopping it up into a small series. But this isn't true. Light Novels are not planned by cutting up what would be a big novel into a smaller one. Because for one thing, considering that 50,000 words is the normal minimum length of an american novel, there's nothing too small about a light novel in the first place. Second, a light novel is planned from the beginning to have an ending and or cliff hanger to lead to the second book. The author designs the story to be a series. They dont get an idea for a single novel, and then cut it up, they from the beginning on average plan to writer each books storyline within the series.
5. The stories are different. Now, this may be a weak point, but yet, it deffinitly is a glaringly obvious ones. The imaginitive stories seen in Light Novels are not seen in books in the west for the most part, or at all. But this is mainly due to an overall inability of western authors to allow themselves to use their imagination fully. All they write about is on average what CAN happen and what they have seen. They never try to write stories that are completely imaginitive and unfamiliar to readers. Only a few try, a very small few. So although Light Novels can't hold onto this characteristic forever as exclusive, they are for now known largely for their stories, which can range from horrible, to brilliant, depending on the author writing.

And although the above doesn't fully explain what a light novel is, it attempts to.

And as Doraneko put it so perfectly, you really DO have to read a Light Novel for yourself to truly understand what one is. It's kind of a self revelation that your mind comes to after you read enough of them.

-Matt

PS. I have nothing against novels from Korea, China, India, or UK, etc. And I'd have no problem enjoying a story taking place in their country.

And as for burning old school books. No, I'd never advocate that. lol I'm simply saying that if the class isn't learing to LOVE reading through them, Light Novels offer a great alternative.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote