View Single Post
Old 2009-06-19, 09:57   Link #2092
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

According to this interview, Activision is apparently considering to drop the PS3 altogether as a platform unless Sony performs an other price-cut and gets the sales rapidly increasing: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6531367.ece

an extract from an other forum
Quote:
In a similar vein to the post earlier regarding Splinter Cell: Conviction being an Xbox 360 console exclusive, Activision chief, Bobby Kotick, told The Times that they may just stop supporting Sony altogether.

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation."

Ouch ... but wait, it gets worse for Sony.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony." When asked when Kotick replied, "when we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too."

Double ouch. Stern words from the Activision chief there, but goes a long way to answering the questions I posed this morning.

I suppose if they do stop supporting Sony ... PS3 owners will only miss out on a plethora of music cash ins and licensed crap. Yes, I just went there. I suppose they will miss out on the Infinity Ward Modern Warfare titles as well though, which is a sad day for PS3 owners if that ever happens ... although I can't see it happening, especially with a price cut on the console rumoured for the fall. Still, can't say I've ever seen those sort of threats thrown around before to one of the console creators.
Honestly said I don't think the situation is THAT bad regarding sales, specially when we consider the titles that are going to come out (Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Last Guardian, FF13, etc.), but this certainly doesn't sound like a good thing either. I guess publishers like Activision are growing tired to be told "wait for next year", which has been quite the motive so far.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote