View Single Post
Old 2012-08-30, 13:16   Link #281
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Don, there already are restrictions, background checks, and a registration of sorts!
First you must posess a valid I.D. In your state, second pass a criminal background check, and third fill out a form 4473 when you purchase a firearm. That form will be kept by the dealer and at some point the ATF will come in and check them. The bachround check is instantly done over the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Even in Alabama or thoses gun show? I thought than one could get his gun right away after bare minimum check ( if any) there.
This. In most states you can buy a gun second hand (and at gun shows) without filling out any paperwork whatsoever(and no background checks either). With a licensed gun dealer, you do indeed have to fill out paperwork and have a criminal background check, however none of that paperwork entails a test of how sane you are. Still, much better then nothing. There are no penalties on selling a gun second hand to a criminal, as far as I'm aware.

If registration was properly enforced, I think you'd go a long way to keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people.

@Emeiz_hyde: Absolutely agree.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote