View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 13:25   Link #93
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

...yes and no; with Yuuya, while he has an inferiority complex based on his identity crisis, and while in the grand scheme of things it is not as critical/important/significant as Yui or Cryska's issues, it's like saying that bleeding out from your wrists isn't as bad as bleeding out from the jugular vein, or getting your arm blown off by a .50 BMG round. His issues will continue to affect and color everything he sees. He reacts towards others based on the hurts of his childhood, which are festering wounds that haven't been treated.
While you are right to a certain degree, I should also point out that as an audience we are observing the event that are shaping these characters. It's not us who are going through these events. We can garner sympathy or be even empathic if any of these situation aligns to our own life experience but it's hard to imagine a moment as egregious as seeing ones comrade die brutally who is begging for a mercy kill, and yet she couldn't even pull the trigger to spare her comrade from the inevitable agony of terror. Yuuya, on the other hand.... well, his complex is contributed by his mother's family who never warmed up to his Japanese father and his own sensitivity toward how he was treated growing up because of his half Japanese side. So if I compare Yui's story from Yuuya's as an audience of this show, then Yuuya suffered a papercut on the inside of his pinky. His development is nothing more than that he is a bit more comfortable due to the people around him who have went through similar form discrimination/bullying (and much much worse). I also have a feeling it won't take too much to unravel Yuuya as shown in the bar fight of this episode.

With that said, I'm in complete agreement with you in your following point:

Quote:
Anyway, to get back to my main point, what we see here is not further development of Yuuya, but instead we see the ripple effects this development has on the people around him.