View Single Post
Old 2015-10-16, 13:29   Link #19
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech42ace View Post
I don't like the sound of this... All though it could lead to newtypes in the future... Just something offsettling about the ability to play God...
Well it's happening. TBH it's a pretty scary science and also a powerful one. The ability to finally cure genetic diseases alone makes it's potential to end human suffering huge... but it's early days are going to be full of missteps and screws up. The long term consequences are also pretty earthshaking in regards to the effects on sociality, but so was the effects of the railways, it's just one of those types of technology.

Once we have mastered it however, the quality of human life will likely sky-rocket, but I wouldn't exactly be in a rush to have my children be some of the first to be born with genetic modifications, as there will undoubtedly be mistakes made and unexpected consequences in the early tampering as we find out unpleasant truths like 'this set of genes set up in such a way increase IQ by 50 points.... and likelihood of psychoses by 300%' along the way.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote