View Single Post
Old 2007-12-12, 06:35   Link #66
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Even after watching the said episode, I cannot use any other word than absurdity.

The whole deal with Asami is completely silly. I don't have any problem with lesbians. I don't have any issue with "dark" characters. What is actually erratic is the execution and how deceiving they portrayed a character until now. Don't get me wrong: characters changing completely aren't a problem either (see Tsukihime), but it is exactly what I mean: how a character is done like this, changing completely the said image without the proper "transition".
Asami was a plot device for some characters here and there. Indeed, there wasn't any solid "romantic interest" towards Sana, but there weren't any solid hints for Shuuri either. What is actually annoying is how they used a complete off topic and random plot "arc (Granny Kaji) to forcefully pull that revelation out of nowhere.

Asami's speech was not only long, but forcing many things which were obviously not a natural aftermath. Plot twist can work if they aren't seen coming, but they have to make sense as well. In M;Y case, it doesn't for me, because the way Asami explodes, as a result of a random accident isn't convincing at all.
And her reasons to reveal that to Sana are even more shaddy, but heh...
And before you use that cheap explanation: no, reading a game profile isn't supposed to justify this stuff. I already read Asami's profile, and I was expecting something, but not of that scale, nor at that kind of timing.
If you have to read a spoiler/external information to understand the actions of a character, It isn't exactly logical.

Still on Asami, if you are to check the hints before while you already know what will happen, it isn't convincing either. Considering the knowledge, any "subtle" hints can be seen anywhere. If a weird hint was to be spotted before and get all its meaning with this revelation, it is fair enough. But checking any hint which didn't make sense or obviously overlook without the said knowledge is not a proof of "foreshadowing".

The follow up is probably how both arc (Kaji and Asami) are twisting with the Wakatsuki twins arcs altogether. Though their feelings were build up, the situation wasn't. Asami's accident accelerated the things from nowhere, and suddenly, we got a non conclusive end for the twins. We won't know what will happen with their father, we don't now how they will live (considering how they are reckless, they will surely have to overcome lots of hardship). Even their feelings are pretty much vague.
And still, the revelation of Shuusuke's yell wasn't convincing either, considering that Sana still remembered it and could ask anytime. (In fact, it really surprised me that after what he discovered about Nanaka, that Sana didn't actually check out what Shuusuke wanted to say).

The episode avoided a complete disaster with a well executed "run away" of the twins with Sana running like nuts to stop them.
But that's it. the rest is completely on the left field: the execution forces a lot of false drama.
Asami's character is pending between "plot device" and "plot device enhanced". She isn't a character by herself, but she is some trigger for others, that's all. A character with some random revelation doesn't become a "true character" for the hell of it. A revelation of this caliber doesn't give any substancial point for the said character, especially if this revelation will be used for others characters "development". That's the reason why I can't consider Asami as a character on her own.
Yet, we will probably won't know what will happen to Kaji (not that I care much to be honest), and so forth.

We still have some things to resolve (namely Sana), and we still didn't see anything about Aoi (aside of being useless) and Hinako, who completely disappear.