View Single Post
Old 2011-11-13, 14:14   Link #2107
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few points I want to make on Gai.

The anime strongly suggests that Gai is racing against the clock. His plans typically have a sense of hurried desperation to them, as though time is truly of the essence. So I'm inclined to think that Gai is dying, and he knows that he has a small window of opportunity within which to accomplish his chief goals before he passes on.

Supposing that the reasons and motivations pushing him and Funeral Parlor forward are intricate and complex, it may simply be the case that Gai literally just doesn't have the time to go over them in detail with Shu. So he's going for quick and dirty emotional/moral appeals (have Shu witness GHQ commit an atrocity, later appealing to Shu through the gorgeous Inori).

Another possibility is that Gai is hiding something; something that he suspects, if not knows, would cost him any chance of gaining Shu's support if Shu was to discover whatever it is. So he's telling Shu as little as possible since that's actually more likely to gain him Shu's support than the alternative.

So, either way, I think there is a method to Gai's madness.