View Single Post
Old 2013-02-23, 18:08   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that they were "totally fooled".

The Queerats really were treated as little more than cattle by the humans of this world. What that one Queerat said to Saki and Satoru in this episode was stated with sincerity, and there is some truth to what he said there. The Queerats really will escape the thumb of human control if they successfully win this war.

And even if Yakomaru's main goal is personal empowerment (which I myself am inclined to believe), what says he won't put into place a Queerat government where Queerats enjoy a degree of freedom and equality comparable to, say, WWII era Americans?

He can give them that, or something closely approximating it, and still maintain great personal power for the remainder of his life.
You are correct, he's manipulating them with the truth, and that's what makes it so brilliant. I said they were fooled because they have no idea what his true intentions are. They genuinely believe he is a selfless hero fighting for their freedom even though he's probably the biggest coward of them all (unless he has radically changed since the old days... which I doubt), albeit an incredibly cunning and ambitious one.

I think he's mixed some lies in the truth however. Wiping humans off the face of the earth was definitely not the only solution. As far as we know, they haven't even tried to sit down and talk things through with the humans. I am also not convinced the humans were exactly the kind of tyrants Yakomaru made them out to be. They monitored the queerats and required obedience from them but they still let them enjoy a relative degree of freedom. Some of them didn't even obey humans (like the colony that attacked the kids and the priest) and yet were apparently left alone. Humans never even meddled in their affairs, the fact they were able to set-up a democracy is a definite proof. It's definitely unfair that they were seen as inferior life-forms but I don't believe their situation was that bad. At least not bad enough to warrant such a crusade.

To be honest, I'm not sure they will be better off under Yakomaru's rule. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what happens. Countless times throughout history have revolutionaries become worse dictators than the ones they toppled. And history always repeats itself.