View Single Post
Old 2009-04-10, 12:05   Link #83
brain
house music addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
About what you said about the monologues; I also don't think that they're absolutely necessary. I love how Toradora! attempts to show the audience the difference between deep love and a crush without claiming that it's strictly impossible for a crush to grow into love over time. The anime made it pretty clear that Ryuuji and Taiga had much deeper feelings for one another than they had for their respective crushes, and did so pretty early in the show. Some things are definitely lost in adaptation though. Already in the first novel (= episodes 1 and 2) we learn that Ryuuji's heart tends to beat faster when he makes eye contact with Taiga, that he has to force himself to remain calm when he realizes he's going to get to touch her body while helping her with the stretching exercises in PE, that he's very aware of her warm body when he puts his hands on her back and the fact he can almost make out the outline of her underwear under her PE uniform. While standing behind her he even lets us know that seeing the smooth, white skin on her neck is enough to make one's heart race. The anime does not convey the characters' thoughts and feelings this well, as it would be impossible to do so. I still think that by implementing some of these inner thoughts they would have been able to add some extra depth to the main cast, and that would've made the show even better, especially since the best part about the show (in my opinion) was its characters.
I think you are being slightly unfair, here. If you watch carefully, you will note how often, for example, either Ryuuji or Taiga blushes or gets flustered due to the burgeoning feelings of love and the unquestionable attraction they have to each other. It's not like that's "in-character" for them to do with some arbitrary member of the cast, it's only each other and their crushes; and it's not as overt as in the novel but it is unquestionably omnipresent.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews