View Single Post
Old 2008-09-15, 10:35   Link #12
hAppy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
This series is a masterpiece. It gets down to the depths of humanity while portraying white, black, and gray within humanity's painting. I've also noticed countless biblical symbols within the series. For example, lets take satan, and see what the Bible has to characterize with.

Satan:

(Other names include)

-Lucifer
-The Devil
-The Father of lies
-The Prince of darkness

The Bible also says these other details about satan.

"He was the most beautiful angel"
"He will come to you as an angel of light"
"He will make sin look appealing"
"He will appear as a friend, only to stab you in the back"
"He comes only to steal, to kill, and to destroy"

At the end of Monster, Wim's father said that he saw a monster with 7 heads.
http://img30.onemanga.com/mangas/000...0000160/06.jpg

In chapter 12 of Revelation, it states (Which was also the opening of episode 1):

"And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. "

This metaphor is also of satan.

It is my reason to believe, Johan was a character created to be an exact personification of true evil. In doing so, he is the personification of satan himself.

EDIT:

Also, we learn that it was not Johan who experienced all the tests at Red Rose Mansion, but Nina. So who can explain how exactly Johan was turned into the Monster he had become?
i can see how biblical references might be seen here, but i don't think that was the artist's real intent

you could probably find biblical references in any art form if you looked hard enough, same applies for any other major system of beliefs
hAppy32 is offline   Reply With Quote