View Single Post
Old 2007-08-08, 17:04   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Dub-hater review:
Just browsed volume 1 ... I have to say the dub *does not* massively suck.

At least for the characters I've reviewed so far, they're actually not bad. Misuzu starts off a bit fluttery but she improves a bit .... her VA actually gives me the most trouble of any of them because that affected voice just doesn't sound very authentic.... more like someone reading a story and doing a voice for the dialog than someone actually in the scene. Her pitch and tone just don't work for me much of the time. That said, she does settle in as the episodes progress a bit. To me it is one of her better efforts.

Haruko's VA is actually pretty good at it. Yukito's VA has a bit of trouble with the rants but mutters and normal speaking voice are fine.

And I'm not normally a fan of localization but what I've heard so far is pleasing... when Misuzu referred to the puppet as that "thingie" that was a winning moment for me.

Granted, the story is thoroughly japanese and it loses some of the atmosphere and intent in english --- but so far I'd rule this as a win for people who have trouble reading subtitles (astigmatism, motion nausea, etc).