View Single Post
Old 2013-01-18, 17:55   Link #14
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Except Makishima isn't enabling "people's free will". He's enabling the free will of serial killers.
...And serial killers are people, ergo he is still very much enabling people's free will. Your disapproval of his specific choices of people doesn't change that.

Quote:
I'd honestly say that by this point, that's presuming allot too much altruism on Makishima's part. Especially when one of those aspects of "Free will suppression" that Makishima dislikes seems to be not allowing people to engage in wanton murder. That doesn't really frame Makishima's complaint as anything other than lambasting organized society in general, rather than the clinical oligarchy in the Psycho-Pass world. His rhetoric and methods certainly contrast to the pro-democracy agitation that Rina and her friends were up to in episode 12. When compared to that, the idea that Makishima's group is trying to enable freedom in any kind of pro-social kind of way comes off as a bit of a joke.
It's not altruism because he clearly derives entertainment from his endeavors. He's doing it because it's what he wants to do, i.e. following his own will and desires.

And of course it isn't pro-social. If one is to always act based on his or her own will, there will inevitably be occasions where one will have to go against society and what's best for the majority. Makishima is championing individualism.

Quote:
Everything is subjective, but I'm not entirely sure that murder fueled anarchy is all that compelling to most people.
...I never said it was? Nor do I think Makishima believes it to be. But the point here (or at least the point I was going for) isn't to cast moral judgments upon the character, but rather to try and ascertain the way his mind works.