View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 22:06   Link #133
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Two episodes wouldn't be enough. It's a lost cause hoping to generate as much empathy and understanding of the characters in an anime rather than a LN, simply due to the differences in the mediums. However, one possible solution is to establish the importance of the characters before and integrate this episode as a flashback after the main story starts. Kirito needs to develop more before viewers can relate to the Black Cats of the Full Moon.

Since episodes 2 and 3 have been sides stories and there have been times skips here and there, anime viewers haven't had a chance to fully grasp who Kirito is yet. Granted, the purpose of side stories is to fill in details and provide a richer background to Kirito and important characters, but in this case, it would've been better to air this episode later into the series. Why? Because after 5-8 episodes of the main story and more than ample screen time for Kirito, viewers would get a chance to grow more attached to Kirito. And then, when people really understood him and witness the effect that isolation has had upon him after so many floors and years, add this episode back in as a flashback. The concern that people have for Kirito would then carry through to these characters, because they'll understand exactly how paramount these events were in the development of Kirito's personality and mindset; they'll care for these people because Kirito cares for them and can't forget them no matter how much time passes.

Just my two cents

Don't understand too much about copyright law, but wouldn't this fall under the Fair use act?
Without having read the LN, I think between the end of episode 2 where Kirito chooses to walk the path of solitude, and episode 3, where he seems hesitant to join a group, and then in end him returning to being alone, I think it's easy to see how much it's been effecting him.

And again since I'm not an LN reader, I think instead of all the people complaining how they don't care whether or not so-and-so dies, given the amount of screen time, you should consider switching your point of view. The people who die aren't really who you're suppose to be thinking about, and caring about, you're suppose to be caring about how Kirito is dealing with what happens to the people around him. Like maybe it's different for the LN where there's probably more detail, but given the amount of time, I feel it stresses less about the actual characters who die, and focuses more about how this effects Kirito. I just think too many people are focusing on, well this person died, and I didn't really care if they died, so this sucks, and I don't think that's the intention. (Tho if the creators of the series really meant for it to be that way, that's another story, but it's still another interpretation of how these scenes can be used.)

I find it interesting tho that Asuna, who's suppose to play the heroine role, didn't make any sort of appearance. Like I am curious as to what exactly happened between episode 2 and episode 3, and why Asuna and Kirito didn't group or anything afterwards. Obviously episode 2 showed Asuna never grouped before, and yet having exceptional skills, possibly some well known beta player or someone super strong from somewhere because she looked like she wanted to hide her name in episode 2 but that's another discussion. I just wonder why the two separated, tho maybe it will be explained next week if they meet, because it seemed like at the end of episode 2 they would get along, and end up grouping from then.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote