View Single Post
Old 2012-09-02, 04:49   Link #30313
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Yea, assuming Yasu is the culprit. And there's loads of reason to believe she's taking the cover for someone else. Ryukishi has even implied it, saying that she "Wants to portray herself as the sole culprit."

That alone implies there's another culprit besides herself even if she did do shit. But there's no way to pin down what happened in any meaningful way.
At least she's the culprit in the forgeries.

But well, the whole game is about filling the cat-box with what you believe happened, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
I always thought the "portray herself as the sole culprit" meant "make it seems like she didn't have any accomplices", because it is obvious that there's always someone helping her in every game, even if it isn't the same person every time.
You know, that's interesting... but wait.... she does have accomplices in the forgeries. So it doesn't really work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Almost every instance that could possibly relate to Ryukishi's presumed gender roles is entirely wrong, and he only said it in an interview regarding Beatrice's suicide, so I tend to think he was bullshitting in that specific instance without thinking in the context of the greater novel.

Even if it didn't contradict his novel? It's incredibly fucking sexist and he should've kept his mouth shut.
While I'll agree on that, it doesn't qualify as 'lying' in his interview. To not know what the fuck you're talking about is vastly different from 'lying'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestSpeaker View Post
If you had the promise and quarrels you can't have been missing much of her motive.
Well, her motive is a little more complex than that. Back then, I assumed there is a turning point which made her commit the crimes, because being stood up for six years and going nutshit with many personalities doesn't make for an adequate reason. It took some EPs to figure out the 'miracle' ceremony and everything.

Quote:
Well looking back that conversation can be summarised thusly:
"Kinzo made a human body as a blank slate (ie a child (or amnesiac I guess)) and tried to trap Beatrice in it, but it didn't work". Even if it wasn't guessable at the time, it sure was hinted.
Yeah, that was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Evidence for Ikuko=Yasuda:

1. Ikuko = "many children"

2. "19^9": during the incident "Beatrice" was 19 years old.

3. I don't think it is a stretch to assume that Tohya's early memories of meeting Ikuko may have been at least a little manipulated.

4. At the beginning Ikuko seemed quite shy to me. It took time until she changed to the personality she had at the end.

5. We have no idea what Yasu did in the last 2 years before the incident. But if she planned to leave the island, she would have to have a stable identity. Both Shannon and Kanon were adaptable for outside Rokkenjima, "Beatrice" however, as she mentioned herself, cannot just leave Rokkenjima. So she would either leave as "herself" (Yasu) or create a new identity alltogether (Ikuko). And if she wanted to live with that new identity, she would have to CREATE it first (Ikuko's house etc.)

6. Yukari mentions about Ikuko having a "timeless feeling" and seemed like she would never age. We know that Yasu had talent in "appearing as being younger".

7. The last scene in the orphange suggests that Ange replaces Yukari, Battler replaces Tohya and Beatrice replaces Ikuko.
That still doesn't qualify as evidence. If anything, it's just the 'clues' that led you to this theory. I'll borrow Jan-Poo's words here, crude mathematical facts that are not by any chance thematic narrative hints do not qualify as sufficient evidence.

The stuff about the name is almost as ridiculous as KnownNoMore's 'Rose Symbolism'. I would accept it if any of the other hints was adequate to support that theory. However, most things on this list are assumptions.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote