View Single Post
Old 2012-08-17, 07:43   Link #297
MrPopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
I have to partially retract my original argreement with you on this. My original argument was how these side-stories weren't really connected (I'm talking about the overall story in them, not the little tibits like explaining PK mechanics etc).
Thinking about it more, the Black Cats episode wasn't really connected to the Silica story, because if you cut the Black Cats story out, the Silica story still made sense, because that episode didn't introduce any new elements from ep 3 that wasn't in ep 1+2.
What motivated Kirito to help? Because Kirito is a nice guy (Silica's own words). This is originally established in ep 1 (helping Klein), and further cemented by taking responsibility of being a beater.
Why'd he give items and item to Silica? To repay the debt with his sister.
Why reveal Kirito's a high level player? In his own words, he didn't want to scare Silica so he'd had a stable bait.

If anything, the Black Cats story almost contradicts the Silica story because he should've been unfit to protect people, or at least shown some hesitation.
No offense, but you kinda are looking at the tidbits rather than the overall story. Sure you don't need the elements of episode 3 to watch episode 4, however they are all essential in developing Kirito into what he is in this recent murder arc.

His failure involving the Black Cats explains why he's never tried to join another guild, the guilt was undoubtedly eating away at him. Why does he hunt down that PK guild? Because it was a means to redeem himself for what happened earlier. Sure Kirito's a nice guy, but it's simplistic to believe that that was his only motive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
If anything, the Black Cats story almost contradicts the Silica story because he should've been unfit to protect people, or at least shown some hesitation.
The fact that he was successful in protecting someone this time around contributes to episode 4 being a redemption arc. His hesitation is shown through his extra preparations (no, I don't think giving virtual items to a look-alike is a means of repaying his sister).

These two episodes contribute to the Kirito we see in this recent mystery arc, someone who can find peace in his current situation and who's still a solo player despite all this time. If either episode were cut, we'd get an incomplete picture of Kirito as he is now.
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote