View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 07:00   Link #466
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
On the other hand, sad scenes in mellow anime shows (Clannad and its kin) didn’t hit me as hard since I can already see some tragic/sad/heartwrenching scenes coming a mile away from feeling the tone of the anime alone. I guess the “element of surprise” also plays important role in order to make me moved.
I'm glad you said it, because I wanted to say it too.

Clannad did not make me sad. I wanted to be sad, but it was so predictable and they were so clearly trying very hard to make it sad that I just couldn't do it. They just kept piling it on the MC and almost immediately I stopped caring because it was so distracting to me. When I saw what was happening I just couldn't stop seeing the clear intention to make the audience cry. I acknowledge that it was depressing and that people get that lot in life sometimes, but it just wasn't working for me.

Angel Beats did have some sad stuff in it, but mostly with the side characters. The backstories were sad, but beyond that there's not much to be sad about. I felt like most of it was wish fulfillment and thus happy. I think the one that got me more was Yui. There was just something very sad about all of that, and I suspect it was the contrast in her character that really sold it.