View Single Post
Old 2011-02-11, 02:36   Link #85
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

First Mami, and now Kyoko. Both have now warned that wishes for other's benefits go horribly wrong.

If Sayaka dies, it won't be until we see how her wish can go horribly wrong. I think it's fairly clear that is the role she serves in this story. Not to break down characters into simple plot devices, but if one was to, Mami served as the lesson that one can be defeated by witches. Sayaka will be, at the very least, a lesson in making bad wishes. Possibly more, if the eventual outcome of a wish gone "horribly wrong" pushes her to despair. After all, we also still don't know what happens when a soul gem fades completely. I'm sure someone will have to serve as an example for that as well.

That said, let me reiterate that I hate seeing characters as simply plot devices, so let me end this by also saying that while I don't much like Sayaka, she gets points in my book for resisting Kyuube's constant manipulation in regards to pulling Madoka into forming a contract. A refreshingly clear-head character point that stands all at odds with her otherwise impulsive behavior.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote