View Single Post
Old 2008-09-25, 21:33   Link #1223
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
i always wondered... when people say "don't put them in sunlight", does that mean directly? (as in outdoors). i guess the window seal definitely will damage them.
mine are in a glass cabnet (ikea detolf) about 2 metres away from the window, it definitely has SOME exposure to the sunlight coming into the room, is this still ok?
I'm guessing that there are two reasons for this. The first deals with fading of colors due to sunlight, and the second deals with warping due to sunlight.

Fading follows the same concerns as wall scrolls or paintings. Anything that is exposed to direct sunlight often will begin to fade where the sun hits it. This is partially dependent on the strength of the sun; if your figures are only being hit by the sunlight during sunset, for example, the risk of having their colors fade where the sun is hitting them is relatively low. Note also that reflected sunlight (from mirrors, water, etc.) is weakened sunlight. Strong sunlight reflected off of a clean mirror can still pose a threat, I'd imagine. If you're worried about this, consider tinting the glass on your case, tinting your windows, or just going the simple route and adding curtains or blinds to your window and putting them down during sunny periods. I used blinds on my south-facing windows to protect my wallscrolls, and it worked nicely.

Warping would be due to the heat from sunlight. Keep in mind that your figures are not living organisms - they can't sweat or do anything to regulate their temperature. Think about how warm or even hot some rocks can get that were sitting in the sun for a few hours - the same could happen to your figure if it's sitting in the sun. The risk of warping on PVC figures is supposedly worse than on cold-cast figures, if I remember right, but it's best to not risk it in either case. Similar to the fading principles, reflected sunlight is weakened in terms of its heating properties. I'd say that heat is almost a non-issue from reflected sunlight, unless it's being focused and reflected off of materials designed to absorb as little heat energy as possible.