Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-20, 05:28   Link #16625
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The problem is they're wanting you to subscribe to their cable/telco, bundling content with delivery. This, of course, automatically cuts out vast parts of the market who aren't served by their networks.

I don't think anyone sees it as more than a transitory service... but so far the content producers and the delivery folks aren't stepping up to 'nation-wide delivery' while they try to stifle a company that does.
I'd say in the long term they'll probably see sense and distribute their stuff more freely. After all, cutting out most of your prospective market by only selling to your cable/broadband subscribers is a bit senseless.

I could see each major broadcaster or media giant operating it's own subscription based media service. There might be a BBC subscription, and NBC subscription etc.

And maybe some bright soul will come with some kind of idea that, say, allows you to subscribe to every documentary show across all networks, or every drama etc.

Media is in a state of flux, so it's difficult to say how things are going to proceed. Either way, we can probably expect to be spending more on media content in the future. On the flip side, we'll probably have a lot less ads.

I just hope they stop it with all the region blocking...