View Single Post
Old 2012-11-30, 22:20   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
Come on they are 14, this whole romance from now on will pale in comparison is nonsense. How can you say that when the show isn't even over?
What does their age have to do with anything? Many of the best and most popular anime romances of all-time were between teenaged characters (in some cases, 14 year olds specifically).

Anyway, you had an entire episode devoted to just two characters, with much of the focus on their feelings for one another.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Shin Sekai Yori episode to be about only two characters (even Saki/Satoru's Queerat War Adventure had Queerats in speaking roles).

Plus, there's certain levels of intensity that just can't be beat. You can tell them, and feel them, when you watch them. A great example of this is the Gurren Lagann event I referred to in spoiler space.

Now, TTGL was still a great show for many episodes after that and straight to the ending, imo, but it never had another moment quite on the level of that one, imo.

And I get the same sort of "This can't be topped" vibe from this episode.

Sorry, but there's a passion and consistency and deep emotionality and perfect mutuality to Shun/Saki that I just don't see in any other pairing in this narrative.

Given all of what I wrote above, I don't expect anything after this episode to match it, at least not when it comes to romance. But hey, I'll just have to wait and see in that regard. I could be wrong, but obviously I doubt it.