View Single Post
Old 2011-06-25, 11:18   Link #144
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Here comes a wall of text: Good show overall, probably the first show in years that had my attention in a vice grip. At the start of the series I thought the show was perfectly executed, but towards the end the pacing felt really rushed and I felt that they started skipping scenes where if given enough time they would have explained the characters reasoning more carefully.

This last episode was a mixed bag. I felt the drama was a bit cheapened by everyone but poor Poppo being involved in a love-triangle, although I'm not bothered by this aspect too much, but it is such an oft-occurring theme. Also during that certain scene I felt good execution was sacrificed in order for their characters to give out their reasonings within the time alloted. It ended up feeling rushed, while they were "Confessing" one couldn't help but anticipate and smirkishly-emphathize with all the crying the CVs had to do before their soliloquy. This part was forced but it's good that they put it in to explain the characters reasoning. It was neccessary melodrama to get some key plot points across.

By the time they got back to the letters, I forgot about emphathizing and got absorbed into watching again. The opening of the letters was probably the sweetest scene in this entire series. That and Menma and Yadomi finally confessing to eachother (Sheesh! Yadomi is stubborn and is really just not honest with himself! I guess that is part of his charm.) Thinking about it, the final fruition of their relationship is really a bitterwsweet thing, especially among this cast of characters. Almost all of them harbor unrequited love, except for one pair, and the one pair that truly likes each other can never be. Oh well, Menma and Yadomi don't seem to be the type to torture themselves over such a thing. If it were Yukiatsu in his place... he would probably have a breakdown and do something drastic, so perhaps he's better off that Menma doesn't want to be his bride.

Nice ending montage, glad to see them all doing well.

Episode: 7/10. A "Good" rating for me, it gave me teary eyes and didn't leave any soul- torturing questions left over. It tied everything up. It had some hitches, obviously some parts were rushed. It was a satisfying last episode. But as a final episode, it's lacking something that would leave a strong impression, as in something that I won't forget after a week. It didn't have something truly memorable. (That's not criteria for a good anime but it is for a great anime in my book.)

Series: Just finished so I may be bias, but I would say 8/10 (Very high for me, best rating I've handed out in 2-3 years.) This show just had such a powerful melancholic feel to it and they executed it so well. Well done but lacking something special to go higher. No scene that i will remember and think how awesome that was! And I never felt emotionally tied to any character. Still a good series that I would recommend.