View Single Post
Old 2011-05-21, 11:21   Link #116
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Holy crap I just had a revelation involving the translation of Kizumonogatari. For the past one and a half year of me being involved in the translation of this project there have always been one thing that have been bothering me. That particular thing was the translation of the word "眷属". I first translated it as "subordinate" back in the beginning because at the time it was the closest word I could think of that fit the meaning. However, just right now I realized what the actual translation should have been and it was......."familiar". I mean it is literally the perfect translation of it and it completely slipped my mind for the past one and a half year. So from now on everyone please disregard the word "subordinate" as the word for "vampire that is created by another vampire and directly serves that vampire".
Usually a "familiar" means a spirit that helps a witch, often taking animal form. I see that it may also mean a human that serves under a vampire, but still a human nonetheless (example). Araragi instead is a full-fledged vampire. I think 眷属 means member of a vampire clan, belonging to the same family line. The right word in English for this escapes me.

Trying to search it on google, I found things like 夜の眷属の王・ヴァンパイアの女王. I think I heard it in movies. Children of the night, sons of the night, spawns of the night. Spawn of the devil. Maybe "spawn" would be the most correct translation.

Vampire Spawn are undead creatures that come into being when vampires slay mortals. Like their creators, spawn remain bound to their coffins and to the soil of their graves. Vampire spawn appear much as they did in life, although their features are often hardened, with a predatory look. (from a D&D wiki. I didn't find better).
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote