View Single Post
Old 2010-08-11, 12:30   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
It dawned on me that video games are not evolving at the same pace they did in the early 90s and early two thousand. I wonder what type of games we would have had now if most game developers weren't focus on creating games for outdated technologies.

We have been using DX9 in most games for decade now, even though DX11 is out, but very few games are being developed for it.

Perhaps the only game that has pushed the envelope is Crisis. I think it is really sad that console games are not designed in way that allows for hardware upgrades as computers do, because all they are doing is bringing video game development to a halt.

I guess the money is too good to pass up...
Consider the following:

1. It's a industry, therefore it's for profit. At some point innovations and improvements are warranted when the gaming masses want them, but if still makes you money then there's no point in throwing it away just yet.

2. It's comparatively more difficult and more resource intensive to develop software for new technology and new platforms. The average gamer can't tell the difference between Dx11 and Dx9.0c (I certainly as hell can't!), so unless your new technology breaks new ground to attract the masses, it may simply be not worth it.

3. Consoles were also designed primarily for people who can't afford the next Pentium processor or the next Radeon GPU. Consoles are there to last you a while to play games without having the need to bust out more caps to play the next big game. Plus consoles are more capable than what most people give them credit for. People are actually surprised at the things even even aged consoles can do if developers used the technology well.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote