View Single Post
Old 2010-08-31, 03:30   Link #6
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
Meh, I don't really like writing this chapter, especially the last part of it. But the ending to this arc is rewarding enough - both to me, as the writer, and probably to the interested readers as well. Please skip through the last part if you don't like it, and excuse me this once. ^_^

Chapter Four: Lies!

"I don't get it. How could anyone hate Mio…?"

That was the question Hirasawa Yui and the other members of After School Teatime were pondering about as they readied themselves to head for home, grabbing their shoes from their locker.

"Who knows. Some people are just jealous of Mio's popularity, I guess," suggested Ritsu with an irritated tone as she sluggishly put on her sneakers.

"I can't believe there are people out here who are so cold," added Tsumugi while trying her best to focus on tying her shoelaces.

"We just forget that there are people like this in the world sometimes," remarked Azusa, indolently strapping her boots as she gazed at them deeply, as if holding an abstruse thought.

"That's right," Flare finally spoke up. "People can do the worst things for their own advantage."

This time, Mio could confirm that his words didn't bring any comfort to her at all. It was a different feeling. A cold, shivering feeling that crept down her back.

"Erm, are you alright, Flare?" she asked, staring at him along with the other girls.

Seeing that worried look on Mio's face was more than enough to distract Flare from whatever angsty he was going through just then. Immediately, he pulled a nervous smile on his face.

"Ah, sorry, sorry," he said rubbing his head, "I was just rather angry at what those guys said about you."

Mio smiled weakly. It's been a long day. She just wanted to head home. "Let's go," she muttered as she gradually stood up and walked towards the exit door.

Flare followed after, not feeling a sense of comfort, even after seeing her smile.

Just as he was about to catch up with , however, a hand behind halted his movement. It was Ritsu.

"Wait a minute," she ordered sternly. Before even turning his head around, Flare could felt the intensity from her glare.

"What is it, Ritsu?" Flare posed the question with equal somberness, although he had quite a clear image of Ritsu's current thoughts right then.

Both of them exchanged stares in silence for a while, leaving Yui, Tsumugi and Azusa to helplessly look at each other, hoping that someone would gain an idea to ease the tensity.

Then Ritsu sighed, resting her much burdened head by descending it. "Mio might be too shy to say it, but…" she began, raising her head again to look in Flare's eyes, making sure she had his full attention, "…there's something wrong with you, and you're not telling her, isn't it?"

Flare looked away with a tiny smile. His guess was right, and by seeing his expression, Ritsu knew hers was, too.

"Hey, Ritsu, what are you talking about?" inquired Azusa, worried that another conflict would begin amongst the band members.

Ritsu waited for an answer. She waited for the boy to convince her that she was wrong, that Mio would be able to rely on him.

"What do you mean by 'something wrong', Ritsu?" Yui added, sharing the same confusion as Azusa.

But there was no response from the boy, not even a murmur. His eyes merely strayed away from those of Ritsu, trying to escape from answering his past.

"Leave Mio."

Her words stung Flare, impactful enough to make him look back up at her. Even so, the words weren't all that surprising to him, for he had shared the same thought.

"Stop it, Ritsu…" begged Azusa.

"If you really care about her, leave her and let her grow on her own, instead of having her rely on an undependable boyfriend. Let her find her true strength instead of fabricating one outta a fantasy."

Flare frowned once more, for he wholeheartedly agreed with Ritsu, and thus, he prepared himself to make the tough choice. That was until…

"Don't worry. I'll protect her if it calls for it…"

That statement made him stop. It made him realized something - Mio couldn't depend on Ritsu, either.

"Don't joke with me," he said, taking Ritsu by a little bit of surprise.

"What?" she asked, looking at him with confusion.

"Quit joking with me…" he continued, looking up at Ritsu with anger, "you sure did a Hell of a job protecting her this afternoon, didn't you?"

His words did more than sting her. They crushed her down as if heaven itself had given way. She stared into blank space, this time being the one not knowing how to respond.

And that person returned at the worst time.

"Ritsu?" she called out, noticing her bestfriend's horrible expression.

All eyes turned to her, the subject of their conversation.

"Ah, Mio!" replied Ritsu quickly with a forced smile. "Sorry, sorry. I was talking to Flare about something just now. Sorry if I made you worried."

"No, it's alright," answered Mio. Then she noticed the distressed faces of the other girls.

"I guess I'd better go, then," declared Flare, turning towards the exit doors. "I wouldn't want to impose on anyone any further."

Mio was undecided. She exchanged a stare with a distressed Flare as he stopped beside her, but then she turned back to look at Ritsu's false smile again, and everyone else's sullen faces.

"Erm, I think I better stay with Ritsu, Flare," she stated.

"Oh, nah, it's alright, Mio!" exclaimed Ritsu immediately, trying to put more strength into her smile. "I just remembered that I need to do something later on. You go on with Flare now."

Mio looked at Ritsu unassuredly, trying to get a confirmation from her bestfriend's false expression.

"She's right, Mio," Flare interjected, smiling weakly. "We'd best be going."

Mio didn't quite understand, but she nodded, and walked away with Flare. She took a final glance at Ritsu just before she exited, wondering about the secrets her friends are keeping from her.

When Ritsu was sure she was really gone, she surrendered her strength, falling on her knees and had her hands landing on the floor, with the others rushing in to help her up.

"Ritsu, are you alright?" expressed Tsumugi worriedly. "Dammit…" was the only murmur Tsumugi heard from her. It was barely audible, but the awkward silence of the doorway allowed all of them to hear it clearly.

Tears flushed out from Ritsu's eyes. She hated her hypocritical self for pushing her bestfriend into Flare's hands just so she could have a moment to cry about how she was as powerless as Flare had described, how she was once again unable to help Mio stand up on her feet.

"Dammit… DAMMIT!"

Last edited by WBoon; 2010-08-31 at 11:27.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote