View Single Post
Old 2013-01-07, 05:41   Link #64
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
@Qilin:

It's not my view that human behaviour and choice is unaffected by the deterministic logic. It would be however, if souls did indeed exist and were not part of the physical world. The thing is, predictability of the future in different degrees is elemental to the definition of some variations of determinism, but not to others, making it possible for souls and determinism to coincide in some cases, but not in all of them. It's a bit hard to find common ground in mind games like these, especially since there's probably about 1000 definitions of what a soul is.
I'm mostly arguing here for the classical definition of determinism that was originally established. The way I interpreted it, certain prediction of the future of the universe was the sticking point of the entire theory. If you take that away, can such a theory still be called "determinism" in the first place?

But whatever. As with a lot of philosophy, nearly everything boils down to language games after a certain point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Let me throw in something into consideration:

Multiverse.

A concept so sci-fi and seemingly out there is now widely accepted among Theoretical Physicist.

If you refer to my earlier post about my take of "fate", then add in the idea that "all possible outcome that happened is as real as any that didn't". There are infinite number of world "composition" and infinite number of how that composition could play out, and they are all "real".

This way, Determinism and Freewill can coexist just fine.
You're right that multiverse theory would indeed make that possible. However, if we assume the multiverse theory to be the truth, then the very idea of determinism would at that point lose all meaning and become mere commonsense. After all, there is no meaning in predicting anything if every single possibility is a reality in itself. The entire argument comes to nil.