View Single Post
Old 2012-12-24, 15:43   Link #146
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Heh, I guess it shows just how far away from the average anime fan I am when everyone thinks Another was awful and I found it quite good, reminiscent of the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The mystery part wasn't very mysterious, I'll give you that one, but it had a lot of what made the first season of Higurashi creepy and a lot of what made the first Final Destination movie really work well (the less said the better about the sequels, though).

I can't really say what the "worst" anime of 2012 is, though, since I've barely watched anything produced in 2012. Most of it looks so awful I don't even want to bother with it.

I'm watching Shin Sekai Yori and finding it hard to get through. It was recommended to me on the basis of being a good depiction of incidental homosexuality in a non-romance series, but it turns out that everyone just fucks everyone else to reduce the stress of their superpowers, and the main character is clearly hungry for the two male characters' cocks. There isn't any real, loving homosexual romance, and homosexuality is treated as, essentially, a living sex toy, an orgasm-inducing stress ball.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the series, but I went in expecting something based on the recommendation and now I'm getting something completely different. Add to that the aforementioned pacing problems and the aimless feel of the story, it just doesn't seem to be nearly as good as claimed. The character design and art direction is interesting, though.