View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 20:47   Link #50
Thelastguardian

I wonder why all the bad mouthing of the episode. I think it is a very fine episode myself.

First of all, most galgame players would be familiar with the bugs he mentioned in this episode. Seeing a kuso game that encompassed all these 'features' definitely bring a smile to most galgamers' faces. I am guessing that some viewers are disappointed because they want to see him getting the real girls; But one must realize that this series is also about galgames. That is probably the mismatch in expectation. I personally enjoyed seeing him battling these obstacles, so there.

Furthermore, this episode shows what kind of person Keima is. To the things he cares about, he is one dedicated SOB. We learn, in this episode, he is willing to go any length to 'save' the thing he loves. This will prove to be important as the later captures become more difficult- it is this determination that carries him through. As a bonus, it also provides a chance for Eleise to realize that Keima is earnest in his conquest.

Someone mentioned that he shouldn't play in class. Well, what do you expect him to do? He gets 100% in all his tests, he listens in class, answer all the questions correctly, and never disturb anyone else. It is quite hard to expect more from a student. As far as I can see, as long as you are present in the classroom, learning, and not disturbing other students, there is no problem playing video games. Now there might be issues with respect for elders and co., but frankly those stuff are never in the curriculum, and I shudder to think that one can properly learn those ways of social conduct in school.

Of course this episode is not without flaw. The loop sequence is a bit weak. I personally would reorganize that sequence. I believe I can shorten it while leaving a larger impression on the viewer. Keima's voice is not as bipolar as I imagined when I read the manga, and the description of the game left much to desire. In the second half the producer was obviously trying to drum up sympathy for Sora; unfortunately for him, it didn't quite work out.

But these are only nitpicks. When a producer makes not one, but two custom songs for one character (that's not even real!), you know he is serious .

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2010-10-27 at 20:57.