View Single Post
Old 2012-07-03, 19:36   Link #3616
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Regarding Kono Oozora ni Tsubasa wo Hirogete, I definitely agree that Kotori's route is the centerpiece of the work, and the whole story is well-conceived and assembled. The metaphors and symbolism are a little bit blatant at times, but still well-done; it's pretty easy to identify with both Aoi and Kotori as they go through their journey together. I also agree about Ageha... the route wasn't bad, and there were definitely some interesting thematic elements, but the main source of the conflict was frustrating to watch play out (and even when you understand why it was, it still doesn't make it seem all that justified). The routes for the twins are a bit shorter (two half-routes), and I think the relationship there was a fair bit less realistic, but they still incorporated a few interesting themes and concepts (I liked use of the "Nothing Gold Can Stay" poem and related analogy, for example -- Yoru really came into her own during that route). Right now, I'm working to finish Amane's route, which contains a lot of the backstory that was alluded to in the other routes. In the end, though I would still say Kotori's route is the strongest and the other routes can't quite measure up, there is still some motivation to play through all the different routes to see the story from various unique perspectives. The art and music are quite good, and they make good use of effects here and there to enhance the presentation (similar to Bell Stars, also by Pulltop). All in all, a solid work that could easily be recommended, particularly if you like the theme.

Regarding Hatsukoi 1/1, I was won over by the trial mostly because the pacing of the story is very good, and the characters are fairly well-developed. It probably won't win any awards for originality (it's an anniversary work, so is playing a bit on being a tad "old school"), but it seems very well put-together. It's another game where I think there'll be some incentive to play through all the routes.