View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 19:38   Link #1111
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
I never said science is the answer. I said science is the most useful and valid form of reasoning we have available to us as human beings in 2012. There is a subtle but important difference.

You're attitude seems to suggest that you view religion as some kind of immortal constant that will always hold the same weight in our lives.

I'm saying that Science is only a part of the larger evolution of human thought. It is merely the reasoning tool of our current epoch, and like religion before it, it will surely be replaced, eventually, if we don't kill ourselves first.
Well, for starters, I do not agree to science being a form of reasoning given that it is a system not a method. As I have been saying, there is a difference between science and scientific method.

Immortal constant: No, it's a matter of not believing one system is superior to another, which in your initial way of stating, made it seem science is superior to religions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
The only places where the population of religious people is increasing are developing countries in Africa and Asia.

In the developed world the population of religious people is dropping at an exponential rate. Here is a link to some evidence from a far less biased source, scroll down for statistics:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm
Well, let's see..... Unless you're saying both Japan and Korea are developing countries, the belief that the population of religious people dropping in all parts of the developed world is incorrect. Furthermore, not believing in a specific religion and being an atheist is quite different. One thing that I do question about that site is how they managed to include atheists into "no religion" when there is a separate category.