View Single Post
Old 2013-01-03, 10:21   Link #25562
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

-White people steal land from native inhabitants
-Other group of white people take marginal island from them
-First group of white people think this is an unprecedented travesty and demand land back even centuries later

I don't much care for the particulars of what happened on the Falklands. It was centuries ago, England has squatters rights and has demonstrated the ability to defend it, the current local yokels wanna stay with the UK and the Argentinians are bloody hypocrites if they think they're not a country for the exact same reasons.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous at this point. Making claims that it is an example of 19th century colonialism conveniently overlooks the fact that Argentina is mostly populated by people of European descent. Sure, a country should have the right to govern itself regardless of where the inhabitants came from, but that claim makes it seem like they're playing the card of being an abused indigenous population... hardly the case. The referendum is more than sufficient. Speaking of which, I know Puerto Rico recently had such a referendum as well in which they narrowly voted for statehood, but I haven't heard much about it since.