Thread: Apple IPad
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-29, 03:46   Link #20
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

@Theowne:
Well, like I said... the thing is an e-reader with extensive multimedia capabilities. And I actually do think from a sheer "cool" standpoint it's hard to beat the iPad. The problem for me comes with the fact that's it's in the saem price range as quite a few devices I would find more versitle.

@Synaesthetic:
Nice find on the Pixel Qi display there, that does look like an interesting bit of tech. I suspect that Apple didn't go with it because of the viewing angles... I do hear it's the weakness of the tech and Apple actually bothered to throw an IPS panel in the iPad, which gets great viewing angles but isn't exactly cheap.
I can't say the backlit screen is as big a deal for me as some of the other compromises, but then again, I read PDF files of academic journal articles on both my home computer and my Inspiron 1501 all the time so maybe I'm just used to it. The *software* solution to the problem would be to just put light text on a dark background but I suspect many would balk at reading an ebook that way.

Also, to tell the truth, I think that the idea of ebooks on the iPhone or similar device makes more sense to me than using the iPad for them. A smartphone is pocketable and can be operated with one hand while on a crowded bus. iPad... not so much.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote