View Single Post
Old 2011-11-09, 16:04   Link #637
Nixl

Personally, I like Gooral's Survivor game suggestion immensely. I have two primary reason as to why I like it.

(1)The first is that I believe such a thread would create a dynamic character discussion despite being a poll/game. The potential for posters to make an argument for his/her pick seems like a thrilling prospect. In addition, this idea feels like a far more centralized and engaging character thread such as the Raki thread we have.

However, an important distinction is that I believe the Survivor thread would not overlap in anyway with our monthly chapter threads or our other character/scene polls already in existence. We are at the point where we have enough material for posters to create overviews of multiple characters. In essence, I do not think this idea would not compete with our other threads/polls. Instead, we could have a more comprehensive discussion of characters as they evolve and develop. The monthly discussion thread is not the most convenient or friendly source for our more casual readers, which leads to my second point.

(2) This thread could potentially enable greater participation. I think that this idea would encourage greater participation with our users and perhaps bring forth some lurkers into the fray. Not everyone in the Claymore subforum engages in our monthly chapter discussions due to the nature of our discussions. If one were to look at our monthly discussions, it is hard for anyone to engage and even follow with all the topics, chapter specific or not, that we cover. Those who can only casually read the forum threads due to jobs, school, etc are faced with a daunting challenge just to keep up. This idea would be much friendlier to users and something everyone could perhaps contribute towards despite not having the time to read every single page just to be up to speed.

In short, this thread type would reward both casual and more dedicated users for participation. If I may also add the point that we have some walking encyclopedias around and this thread would engage our enthusiasm for the manga in a creative way.

edit: This may be more like a re-edit, but I would like the moderators to see that in the chapter 120 thread as well as previous threads we have had posters debate over characters specifically on the merits of their role and development in the story. These debates over Deneve vs Tabitha vs Yuma (the winner I might add) or Miria vs Claire have been persistent in my memory. Furthermore, these debates are independent of the chapter debates, yet they happen. The Survivor thread would give users the opportunity to have these discussion whilst not filling up the chapter threads with entirely different topics. Thus, also making the chapter threads more friendly to casual users.

Last edited by Nixl; 2011-11-09 at 16:33.