Thread: Beelzebub
View Single Post
Old 2014-12-29, 11:13   Link #5376
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

No, I'm completely with Mentar on this one.

You can see that this is more than just a fight to Oga - right after Aoi challenges him to a fight in pg25, Oga smiles to himself in one small panel, which suggests that he knows more about this than he's letting on. Aoi smiles in return: both knows this is no mere fight. That's why the fight ends poignantly, with him asking if she 'feels better' - note that he has never extended this courtesy to her before. Or anyone at all.

In the second last page, Aoi calls out to him, and Oga pauses. In classic anime frame, his expression is the only one that couldn't be seen, and we see Aoi saying 'thank you' to him (it appears Nene has an indication that something has indeed happened). It's a blink and you'll miss it moment - note all the little panels laid out in the manga frames, especially with Oga, and you'll see there's a deeper connotation than what you're proposing.

I agree with the comments that says romance has no place in this series. I, however, have a problem with simplifying and watering the series down to the other extreme, where people think Oga is nothing more than a mindless shounen brute.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote