View Single Post
Old 2010-09-24, 11:08   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I initially wasn't impressed with K-On! - substantially because I thought it was going to be like the old tv series "The Monkees" and have a new music video every week. Well, over time they created enough music that I retracted that complaint (though more animated music video wouldn't be objected to). The series content itself was pretty standard "high school girl daily life comedy" so it wasn't until about 3/4 through the first season that the 'azumanga daioh' type vibes started up for me -- the chronicles of a group of friends, their bonding, and their time in high school together.

The series, especially in the second season, hits that end-of-the-day-exhausted-salaryman vibe very well: calming, sweet, amusing, nostalgic.

I know a LOT of people who enjoy the show with no demographic left untouched. Teenage/20-something women love it, adult males various ages, ... heck, my wife thinks it is funny/sweet and she's my age. I'm a '52 flavors' white male with a japanese-american wife - we're age 53, she's a pharmacist and I'm an engineer living in the Pacific Northwest US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky
I'm also glad that it isn't in-your-face! fanserivce-y either.
I think the animators made a stellar design decision there - they managed to cross the gender lines big time by providing attractive elements as well as relationship elements.