Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-25, 23:05   Link #22654
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I admit I do only have rudimentary troubleshooting knowledge of Macs, and I do seriously expect people to read up on what they are going to buy before going to someone else when it broke. Never buy anything you can't fix or don't want to bother with the new object's high learning curve.

One more thing : I used Windows 7 quite extensively. The only 21st century OS I had problem with is Vista.
The remark about Windows wasn't an effort to put words in your mouth. I was speaking for myself. The point was that, as a Mac user, I can experience the same things that you do with servicing machines from "the other side."

To make a long story short, I perceived you to be Apple-bashing. Macs, Windows, Linux - these are all tools, and bashing any of them is foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You'll be happy to know I've seen actual "Password Journals" being sold in book and stationery stores. A page for each account or website where you can write all your special codes.... I saw that and thought about setting fire to the display...
That's actually not a bad idea. Let's face it, the general threat that most people face is having weak passwords that can be broken by brute-forcing or other methods. Having all of your passwords written somewhere represents a huge security risk, but it's easier for many people to manage and may encourage them to go with more challenging passwords. Put it in a locked drawer, and the average person is good to go.

I can't really criticize that approach, either, because over the past year or two I've been using OS X's built-in password storage (Keychain). I forget a number of passwords, open Keychain, type in my account password to reveal the stored password, and then use it. Break into my user account (which has a strong password, but it's still one password) and you have access to a bunch of stuff.

Granted, I choose not to store passwords or other login information to sensitive websites (bank and such), but in principle it's not so different.