View Single Post
Old 2006-09-27, 23:42   Link #62
rexlunae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek
What's the problem with one supernatural plot device? The whole rest of the story was based around logical occurences of events, motives, and real tools for each scenario; if anything, the supernatural bit only strings the different arcs together, for it doesn't have an extreme impact on the plot of each arc.

There's another extremely popular mystery series called "Death Note" that is entirely based on logical reasoning, though it has two supernatural elements that are essential to the plot. Rika's "shining" isn't even as essential as the Death Note or Shinigami, since she doesn't use her supernatural ties directly to manipulate the scenarios in any way.

Of course, I am saying this without knowing what happens in Minagoroshi-hen. :/
The problem with a supernatural "plot device" is that it destroys the entertainment of this series as a mystery, which is what made it interesting in the first place. There are, I believe, a lot of people who were sitting at home trying to find a way to reconcile the scattered and sometimes contradictory information we are given, with some degree of success. But now, why bother trying to explain why Keiichi could kill people with his thought? Because of the supernatural element, it can just be magic, and no further explanation is needed. Same with Takano holding conversations with people after she was supposed to have died.

It would be different if the supernatural elements were well defined from the beginning, but they aren't even well defined now, and we just were definitively told that the supernatural element is there in episode 25 for the first time (I firmly believe that prior to that point, all elements could have been explained rationally). It just cheapens the whole thing.

All in all, this series has been an entertaining distraction, so in that sense it works. But if the point of the anime was to sell the sound novels, it failed, at least in my case, because now I don't care about any explanations that could be offered.