View Single Post
Old 2008-03-30, 21:55   Link #208
vio5555

There seems to still be confusion on why Shin's mom was dismissive of Hiromi early on but changed later.

So I'm going to just lay out again what I think happened there. (going to not use pronouns as much because it gets confusing...)

Originally Shin's mom thought that Hiromi represented Hiromi's mom based on the fact that Hiromi looks exactly like her mom according to Shin's mom. This means that her hate for Hiromi is based on the fact that Shin's father didn't really do things very properly in breaking off his relationship with Hiromi's mother before returning to Shin's mom. Consequently, Shin's mom takes out her old grudges against Hiromi's mom on Hiromi...

Later on, after the self-destructive incidents and whatnot with Jun, Shin's mom realizes that Hiromi actually represents her role in the drama (maybe because Shin's mom probably did some similar things) and not Hiromi's mom as she originally thought. This in my mind is the explanation of the 180-degree turn in her treatment towards Hiromi. Shin's mom goes from associating Hiromi with her mom to associating Hiromi with herself.

I have to think that this is the most logical explanation to me and it does fit all of Shin's mother's statements early on to the effect of "You (Hiromi) look like your mother" in terms of beauty in a cold way. Later on after she's had the epiphany that Hiromi's self-destructive behavior is more reminiscient of her own actions in the past, she switches to supporting Hiromi because she now sees herself through Hiromi. This is supported by her last statement to Hiromi as she waits for Shin which is about how hard the waiting is since Shin's mom probably experienced this in the past (but Shin's dad may have screwed up... by his reaction to Shin's question in 13 and from Shin's mom disliking Hiromi early on indicating an unclean break).

Either way, the best thing about this whole subplot is that all of the hints are there in True Tears. Shin's mom comments early on about Hiromi looking like her mother and combined with the turnaround after the incidents along with the final episode dialogue; that part of the plot all falls into place.