Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 19:05   Link #465
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I'm still not convinced that Mutta's low self-esteem really a flaw but I guess it is, since he is working in a competitive environment. However what sets his character apart from the other characters, I think he is the one of the few characters working against the social expectation. The reason he is fired from the job and living in his parents' house in his early 30 is something he brought on himself. He just did what most people wouldn't risk doing.

If the other characters were in Mutta's situation when the boss started badmouthing their own families, I think most characters would really think of the consequence and probably grin and bear it. What Mutta did would most likely be registered as a flaw but to me it's very rare and good quality. He would defend the honour of his loved ones even if it means he will definitely lose his job. Not many characters would not dare to headbutt his own boss though I guess Kenji would probably come back with some subtle jabs.

And don't get me wrong, I like Mutta, too but I was thinking of all the anime I watched, there hasn't been a male character more charming and just naturally balanced than this guy, even Okabe Rintarou had a number of visible flaws. So far everything Mutta does, he was in a right place at the right time. It is also quite ironic that Kenji whom Mutta seemed to show some jealousy towards is having a hard time because of Misoguchi. Even though Kenji doesn't get much screen time as the main character does, he gets a supple development to know what his strength and flaws are.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote