View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 20:41   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There's a certain sadness in discovering a fantastic and heartwarming piece of anime art like this, long after it has finished airing.

I can't help but wonder that the experience might have been even richer for me if I could have taken part in discussions on this subforum as this series was airing live. Unfortunately, it was at a time in my life when I was still a 90% shonen anime guy, and would still be months away from starting to discover great slice of life-esque character dramas like this one.

Then there came the recommendations for Clannad, True Tears, ef, etc..., and for whatever reason, this series here had completely fallen through the cracks for me.

Then, a little over a month ago, Last Sinner recommended this anime series to me, and I started watching it, slowly at first. Before I get to this final season, I have much to say on the first three seasons, but to save space each will be placed in spoiler space.

Spoiler for Maria-sama Season 1:

Spoiler for Maria-sama Season 2:

Spoiler for Maria-sama Season 3 OVAs:

For me, the final season was like the anime paying off in flying colors over all of the groundwork done throughout the first three seasons. It's kind of like when the lengthy preparations for Christmas are finally over, and now it's time to wake up on Christmas Day morning to just relax, have fun, and let your spirits soar high.

In this vein, I found the very different OP quite fitting. It's just chock-full of youthful exuberance and whimsical magic. I think it shows just how far Yumi has come - You can tell that of the three peers (her, Shimako, and Yoshino) she has become something of a leader and inspirational figure. You can tell that Yumi has truly come into her own, and has claimed the Student Council as her own while still showing proper respect to Rosa Chinensis, Rosa Foetida, and Rosa Gigantea. The Student Council no longer feels like something that Yumi is simply a part of - It now feels like it's as much her baby as it is anybody elses.

So Season 4 starts off fresh, dynamic, and upbeat, like a cool glass of lemonade on a bright, breezy, warm, sunny morning.

But a very carefully and slowly-developed arc of drama soon takes hold, and that is reflected by the powerfully symbolic ED that so wondrously captures Touko's role in this final season.

I think it's fair to say that the final season is largely about all of the drama and uncertainty surrounding Yumi and Touko. While other characters certainly maintain important roles, and established characterization and character dynamics are certainly respected, the Gigantea and Foetida families truly do slip into the background some, even while some of the people in them maintain a strong individual presence. I think that Yoshino, for example, works very well as a kind of straw that stirs the drink and adds some zest and flavor to the plot. And Noriko is to Touko what Yoshino is to Yumi.

But at the end of the day, this final season really is Yumi and Touko's.

Perhaps my greatest difficulty with this final season was adjusting my perception of Touko.

Now, from reading some of the other posts on this subforum, I know that many people disliked Touko at first. I honestly really liked her at first. Not so much for the person she was, but rather for the impact that her character had, especially at a meta-level.

Touko, in my eyes, was a brilliantly designed anti-thesis to Yumi. At a visual level, Touko is much like Yumi - Similar stature, build, frame, weight. They're about the same height. Both even have twin-tails, Touko's just happens to be drill-styled.

But for all their physical similarities, the two girls had such diametrically opposed personalities, at least in Seasons 2 and 3. Whereas Yumi began almost like a frightened animal caught amongst hunters in the first episode of Season 1, Touko's first appearance in Season 2 showed her to be breathtakingly bold, happily playing the villain to help out Shimako and Noriko. While Yumi began as very cautious and reserved, Touko began as very expressive and outgoing.

On the flip-side, though, Yumi seemed like a very loving and caring and considerate girl of humility. Touko seemed like a bit of a playful trickster, with ambitious aims and a certain self-centered nature that was quite different from Yumi. Touko honestly amused me a lot in her first few appearances - I even jokingly called her "Bizarro Yumi" (a lot of comic book fans will instantly get what I meant by that. ).

For me, Touko was set up as the perfect rival for Yumi. And not only in a direct sense, but also in competing for Sachiko's affections. It made for an absolutely awesome yuri love triangle at first.

So, how does this relate to Season 4? Well... to go from all of that to how Touko is portrayed in Season 4 took some real getting used to.

Bizarro Yumi has gone from being Yumi's rival to being someone that is in an on-again/off-again tight bond with Yumi herself. I'm glad that the anime took a lot of time to develop that because otherwise this transitioning in Touko's character never would have worked for me.

And yet, by the time that the final episode of Season 4 had ended, I had become a true believer in Yumi/Touko's loving "sisterly" relationship. And Touko herself had come amazingly far from where she had began. A character that I once perceived as being defined by fervent pride, particularly in her boasting of her relation to the rich and respected Sachiko, now seemed like a humble girl that just wanted to feel needed and respected in that world of the rich that wasn't truly her world of birth.

From an amusing Loki-like ojousama that I received many laughs from but never took that seriously aside from the brilliant contrast she provided to Yumi, to a fully realized character in her own right that seemed so warm and with a surprisingly delicate heart. It's good that Touko loves drama and acting, because that too made her startling character development easier for me to buy into and accept.

And so Season 4 brought a softly enchanting culmination to the drama between Yumi and Touko. I don't think that Season 4 could have possibly ended any better than it did. That date episode, which began as a nicely dramatic follow-up to the cliffhanger of the episode before, did everything that it needed to do.

While I do feel some sadness over the thought of how this anime now certainly appears to be done - Over three years have passed since this final season aired, so this is almost certainly it for the Maria-sama anime - I also feel like it ended with the same grace and splendor and effectiveness with which it began. And it ended by going full circle.

The 4th Season also was like a good book that I could not put down, hence me marathoning it all in just one day this past Thursday. I think that speaks well of the quality of this show.

Maria-sama has vaulted straight into my 10 favorite anime shows of all-time, finishing just a nose behind Clannad: After Story and ahead of such luminaries as Steins;Gate and True Tears.

Speaking of noses, that's honestly something I liked about this show - The fact these characters actually had noses! In complete seriousness, character designs did a lot for this show. The lack of "anime-style colored hair" didn't hurt this show one bit given how distinctive the facial structure and designs were for each major character.

It's sad to see the character design philosophy of Maria-sama is not one that the anime world has taken after, because I think it would be better if it did.

Anyway, this sums up this review of Maria-sama Season 4. I hope the few people reading this found it to be a decent read, albeit a very long and rambling one.

95/100 for Maria-Sama Season 4, and 9/10 for the series as a whole.