View Single Post
Old 2006-09-01, 15:09   Link #72
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
I'm surprised so many people missed out on Disgaea- although I guess it has gotten rare. Disgaea is pretty much regarded as the best strategy RPG of all time, and I imagine the sequel is in the same ballpark. The story and characters are SUPPOSED to be very kiddy and tongue-in-cheek, so just enjoy it on that level.
Best strategy RPG of all time? : p I've not played many, but I'll say it's Final Fantas Tactics. I've tried Nippon Ichi's games.. namely Phantom Brave to get a taste of the battle system that is their trademark. It was rather good, but it can get rather obsessive.. I quit playing the game because it took too much time to tinker with everything and keep your equipment in top form. I'll say that while NI's systems have alot of OFF-BATTLE value, which is the tinkering, the actual battle situations aren't always as testing as FFT's.

Plot-wise, I'll grant that Disgaea is charming.. but FFT was ambitious, and a real work of art. Anyway, I'll grant you that some people would think it's the "best strategy RPG of all time", but plenty plenty plenty more will disagree ; )
arias is offline   Reply With Quote